One of the things which reminds me of home is my mother, working her magic in the kitchen making delicious meals – from her famous ‘sambal ikan bilis‘, ‘kangkung belacan‘, ‘mee goreng‘, chicken in peanut sauce, ‘Pongteh‘ chicken, to her ‘kari Debal‘; just to name a few. Another one of her famous recipe, which made me always go for that extra serving, is her homemade creamy mushroom and chicken pie.
I could remember when the pie was just out of the oven, piping hot, smelling so good, and since I couldn’t help myself to wait, I ended up burning my mouth. Or we would have them for the next meal or two if there’s any leftovers. But it’s always ‘cleaned-up’ before we could even think of keeping it for our next meal. That’s how good it is.
If you’re into crusts, then you’re in for a treat. Instead of just a ‘rooftop’ lining the filling, this pie is covered with crust top AND bottom. Don’t you think a pie with crust surrounding the creamy saucy filling is way more comforting?
The 2:1 flour and butter ratio makes the dough so flavourful and buttery. Seriously, who’s counting calories anyway when it comes to pie. It also makes a great one dish meal if you’re not a fan of cooking many dishes every meal time.
When it comes to making the creamy filling, I like to chop all the ingredients in small cubes in order to really get your teeth sink into all the goodness of the flavour.
So, if time is of essence, you can make the filling a day in advance. I’ve done this several times and always in a big batch. That way, I could freeze some for another time. It doesn’t have to be pie again. We’ve eaten it with rice and it’s just as good.
Easy Homemade Creamy Mushroom And Chicken Pie
- 250 g Mushroom Sliced
- 280 g Chicken breast Diced
- 200 g Carrots Diced
- 200 g Potatoes Diced
- 1 big Onion Chopped
- 1 pack Cream of mushroom soup Or 1 can of Campbell's mushroom soup
- 1 can Peas About 140g without water
- Cooking oil
- Chives Optional
- Salt Optional
- Pepper Optional
Ingredients Shortcrust Pastry
- 500 g All-purpose flour
- 250 g Unsalted butter Diced at room temperature
- 2 Eggs Separate the yolks from the whites. Keep whites for later.
- 60 ml Water Or more if needed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the potatoes and fry till semi-soft.
- Then, add the onions, carrots, and chicken. Continue frying.
- Once the chicken begins to turn white, add in mushrooms, peas, and 1 pack (or can) of mushroom soup. While stirring, slowly pour some water till you achieve your desired consistency; as some like their filling thick and some a little drainy.
- Continue to stir till the creamy filling starts to bubble and well cooked.
- Lastly, garnish with some chives (optional) and leave it to cool.
Shortcrust Pastry (with Eggs)
- In a bowl, add the flour and butter. Mix them with your fingers by rubbing them together. It will gradually look and feel like bread crumbs in your fingers.
- Add the egg yolks and slowly pour just enough water while kneading the mixture to make it into a non-sticky dough.
Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Pie
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C, top and bottom.
- Make the dough into a ball and divide, ⅔ for the base and sides, and ⅓ for the top.
- Roll out the ⅔ of dough with some flour and line on a baking dish of your choice. If the sides are falling short, use your fingers to bring up the dough.Dish size used is 27cm x 17cm x 5.5cm (10.6 x 6.7 x 2.2 inches).
- Blind bake in the oven at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or till cooked
- Remove from the oven and pour the creamy mushroom and chicken filling till ¾ full.
- Roll out the remainder dough and line on top of the filling. Any leftovers could be used as decoration for the top.
- Beat the egg whites and brush on the dough (optional).
- Place the pie in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes or till golden brown.
Creamy Mushroom And Chicken Filling
- I’ve never used any salt and pepper for this recipe because my meals are always accentuate towards kids. With just 1 pack of Knorr’s cream of mushroom soup, the filling is already flavourful. However, if you want it more piquant, go ahead and add them.
- Reason for using Knorr’s cream of mushroom soup instead of Campbell’s brand is because it’s unavailable where I’m at.
- If you are allergic to eggs, omit it alltogether. You could still work without eggs.
- Eggs are added to supplement the pastry with a little more protein and to bind the dough better.
- Beaten egg whites are brushed on top of the dough to give some shine and sparkle without so much colour.
How To Store Leftovers
- Balance of the filling (only filling) can be stored in an air-tight container for 72 hours in the refrigerator or in the freezer for 2 months.
- Balance of the pie can be kept in the refrigerator for maximum 3 days in an air-tight container. After that, it will not taste any good.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe as we do as a family. It’s one of our favourites during the cold winter months. And as I always say, that if my kids love it, then it’s a hit. Because I’m blessed with amazing kids but fussy eaters. 🙂
If you’re looking for more comfort food recipes, have a look here.